In all of my travels, the Maldives still tops my list. Everyone always asks me, “Is the travel time really worth it?” Without a doubt, 100% yes. The Maldives are heaven on earth! This was my first staying at the Kanuhura Maldives and the kids and I had the most amazing time. From the second we set foot on the island, it felt like our home away from home, with water villas, beach bungalows, activities for me and the kids, and that turquoise water which really is the best part. It was the perfect vacation for the kid’s half term break, we already can’t wait to be back at the end of summer!
Getting here we flew from London (LHR) to DOHA (DOH) then DOHA to Male, the capital of the Maldives. From here, you’ll have to take a quick seaplane transfer, but once you arrived the travel time is always worth it!
** If you travel during peak season (November to April) , some airlines offer direct flights from London to Male.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by the friendliest staff. The hotel offers personal unpacking so you can enjoy your vacation from the second you arrive and each villa comes with personal bikes, one of our favorite ways to get around the island!
If you’re looking for a romantic, luxury escape I definitely recommend staying in a water villa. They’re on their own side of the island, hovering the crystal blue waters, perfect for a honeymoon, romantic getaway, or adult vacation. While we stayed in a larger villa on the island to accommodate the whole family, hanging out here was one of my favorite parts of the whole stay. We’d have breakfast out on the deck, hang out on the hammocks, swim in the ocean straight from our villa. It felt like our own private getaway.
If you’re looking for a place to stay that accommodates the whole family or larger group, I advise booking a beach Villa like the beautiful two-bedroom which we stayed in. They’re super spacious with a living room, stunning outdoor bathrooms, private pools, beachfront hammocks, personalized villa hosts, and bright, inviting island decor. It was the perfect amount of space for me and the kids and we loved having the beach just outside our back door.
Besides the water, one of the best parts of the Maldives is the fresh local cuisine — reef fish, fresh juices, a little rosé by the pool. The Kanuhura Maldives has 8 restaurants to choose from so despite being there 5 nights, there was always something new to choose from!
- VELI: One of our favorite Kanuhura experiences – a must for dinner. We had the opportunity to enjoy their popular Korean BBQ dinner, serving everything from fresh reef fish, lamb, chicken, salmon and steak. The sushi was SO good, be sure to get it when you’re here. And if you have a special occasion or want something a little more intimate, as the Kanuhura for the special romantic dinner. We do a special family romantic dinner with the kids every time we go on vacation, and Veli kept the tradition alive with a special candlelit dinner right by the water.
- BOTTEGA: Another great dinner option for the Italian food lover. I stuck to my diet of fresh island fish, but they also have delicious pizza’s and other Italian favorites.
- IRU: The Kanuhura’s beach bar with adorable robe swings. The kids love their daqueris and piña coladas and I loved the views and rosé!
- COWRY CLUB: The main restaurant that we enjoyed multiple times. It’s right by the infinity pool so super easy for lunch, tucked underneath their beautiful covered lounge.
- CHEF’S HERB GARDEN: For a special meal, go for the chef’s tasting at the private herb garden. It rained the night we were scheduled for our meal, but the food was delicious and so so fresh! Be sure to request the veggie herb spring rolls!
- DELI: The island deli has the best iced coffees and everything from ice cream, waffles, lunch bites, and pastries. Picnic baskets are available on requests, but it’s right by the water villas and spa to easily grab something and go!
- DRIFT: The mainland of the Kanuhura is already enough, but to make our experience even more memorable, we got to enjoy lunch at Drift, the restaurant at Kanuhura’s adjacent private island. It’s great for families or a little romantic date. Be sure to roam around and enjoy one of the private island cabanas after.
- A MANO: The hotel’s “buffet-style” restaurant, easy for breakfast or dinner! We came several mornings and loved eating right on the beach. They have all the classic favorites, an array of exotic local dishes, and fresh coconuts available on request.
- ROOM SERVICE: They are a ton of great restaurants, but one of the best parts was ordering room service to our water bungalow and not having to be on a set dining schedule while on Island time!
We were more than happy to relax and enjoy the white sand beaches and turquoise water, but they’re plenty of activities if you’re looking to enjoy more.
- Cinema Under the Stars | Private Water Bungalow Movie
- Snorkeling (Both on site and on tours)
- Riding Bikes
- Beach Walk – It takes about 40 minutes to walk the whole island
- Infiniti Pool
- Spa (KOKAA Wellness Retreat & Spa) – One of the most beautiful spas I’ve ever been to
- Salon (Mani/Pedis + other treatments)
- Water Activities
- Maldives Sea Turtles
- Sunset Cruise
- Life Size Chess
The attention to detail for the kids was really impressive. I got to completely relax, something I’m not able to do often, and the kids got to soak in their vacation with non-stop availability of games and activities.
- Kids club, own pool activities
- Games room
- Island Activities (Swimming, Snorkeling, Kid’s Bikes, Cupcake decorating, Pizza Making class, Kids Manicures, Starlight Cinema Night)
Everyone at the Kanuhura Maldives couldn’t have been more friendly or accommodating. Everyone went above and beyond to make sure we had the most incredible experience- truly one of the best parts of this property. From our arrival greeting, to our personal villa host, and the kid’s club staff to everyone person working on the island, everyone made us feel as if we right at home, making us so sad to leave but excited to come back!